July 2012- January 2014

Tuesday, October 30, 2012


Hi Family!

Thanks for the updates on life back in Salt Lake City! It’s getting cold here so I’m just hoping and praying that I don’t have to face a “Logan Winter” here. Although everyone say’s Amarillo has pretty fierce winters. So…. If you want, you could send me some of my warmer clothes. Thursday was an exceptionally cold day (ok, ok I know that I have friends that are serving in ridiculous weather conditions…. Like Canada and Russia…. But just bare with me here) and yes, you guessed it, it was bike day. So we braved the icy wind, I put on some of my companion's tights and rode our bikes. We knocked a street with some success but frozen nonetheless. We walked to this house and my companion said, “This is the one, they are going to be nice and let us in”. And can you believe it, they did! This person currently goes to another Church. After getting to know him a little bit, we asked what he likes about his church. He sat there thinking about it for a little bit then said, “To be honest, I can’t think of anything.” I’ve learned out here that people are just generally creatures of habit. We continue to do things because that is where we are comfortable. But I feel like the gospel has so much more to offer our new friend. Not just regularity but progression! We are meeting again this week so I am praying that everything will go well. So…. Meeting with our new friend was so worth it even though we froze our faces off.

Last night, we went to visit a referral that we got about a month ago. But every time we go to visit her she is never home. Never. I’m not kidding you; we have tried her like 10 times and nothing. So last night, we felt like we needed to go and try her. And can you believe it her light was on and car was there. I started to get nervous because it was late and I hate knocking on doors late. But before we could even introduce ourselves, she opened the door right up to let us in. I stood there in shock and said is now a good time? And she was like of course! Then I blurted out, “I’m sorry, I’m just not used to people letting us in to their homes.” She just laughed. She is pretty much awesome. She had so many good questions about the church and told us that every member that she has met has been “different.” She said they are always happy and always have a positive attitude. So remember, your example is the BEST missionary tool. People do notice and it plants seeds for others to desire to learn more about the gospel. We were able to talk about the Book of Mormon and the Restoration and she wanted a copy of the Book of Mormon. She told us as we were leaving, “I will definitely read and pray about this.” Neat right? She just gets it.

For Halloween, the missionaries aren’t allowed to work past 6. So we are all planning on getting together with the other missionaries at the church.  My companion and I have been thinking about our costumes…. And I won’t give it away, but I think we might win the costume contest. We are going to work on them today. You’ll just have to wait till next week when I can send you pictures.

This Sunday we talked about Families and naturally, I told the story about how we went camping at cedar breaks. They all laughed when I described Johanna bouncing around the tent trying to knock off all the water that was caving our tent in. And then how we tried to dig trenches around Dave and Flo’s tent so they didn’t have a “water bed” anymore. And while this was going on…. The boys slept. This is one of my most favorite memories. Not that it was the most perfect vacation ( I think that was the trip Jer singed his eyebrows off...) But because I was with y’all. I love that we can laugh at those experiences now. I’ve got a pretty amazing family.

IMG_1064.JPGLove y’all so much! I’m always praying for you! Thanks for loving and supporting me!

Love, Sister Luke



  

No comments:

Post a Comment