July 2012- January 2014

Wednesday, September 12, 2012


Alrighty y’all,
Another week down! I am now in my 2nd transfer. I can’t believe time has flown by that quickly! Well, with the transfers we now have 3 sets of sisters in Amarillo and two of them are fresh out of the MTC. So…. The good news is I am no longer the “baby” of the mission. Bad news… I have no more excuses. I can’t pull the “sorry, I’m new. I have no idea what I am doing.”
Can I tell you how blessed I feel to be with my companion. Seeing and meeting other Sisters in the mission makes me realize that the Lord truly knows me and who I work best with. She isn’t super uptight, yet still expects a lot of effort in our work. It’s great because we both are motivated to be good missionaries and work hard. On weekly planning days (where we end up being in the apartment for hours……!) she makes it fun. They usually end up with some ridiculous interpretive dance (because our “dancing" music options are slim).
Speaking of interpretive dance…. There was a mega rainstorm this week. Last time this happened my companion and I swore we would go watch the “flood areas”. Ok…. So maybe that wasn’t the brightest idea. But honestly, we didn’t have to look that hard because of Amarillo’s poor drainage system, EVERYTHING is a flood area. After our appointment, the rain got super bad. Our next appointment cancelled on us and it wasn’t exactly “prime door knocking weather” we sat in the car and watched. On my side in the gutter, the water was up to my knees. I know this because we might have gotten out of the car to test this out. Yep. We were drenched. So we thought, “Might as well dance to Josh Groban’s “remember when it rained”. We are such girls. Well, on our way to our next appointment we really found the “flood area”, she happened to live in it. It turned out to be a good experience though; we got to help a woman whose bumper got torn off by the “raging river” in the street.
Yesterday was a super busy evening. We went up to the VA hospital to do our singing to the patients there. I have a little soft spot in my heart for my time spent in the VA. You can feel such a strong spirit there (Especially when you add music.) I have learned so much by speaking to the people there and feel my relationship with God grow. At the VA, I have come to realize that you can have “sacred ground” in any moment in your life. It doesn’t have to be a place or with a certain person. You just need to invite the Lord in. While we were there, I felt prompted that we needed to go see someone in our ward who is battling cancer. But there really was no time in our day to see them. I prayed that if we are supposed to see this person, to please help us have the time. Well, the Lord truly does direct our paths because one of our appointments called and canceled. This was just enough time for us to see the person! I definitely saw the Lords hand in this whole experience because I had learned something in Relief Society that I felt prompted to share with them. I was also able to share some of the experiences I’ve had with mom, during her treatments. This person just is so amazingly positive. It was such an uplifting meeting. That is my little miracle for the day. I am beginning to recognize that we are guided in our "day-to-day" activities. That God is detail-oriented. Because in those little moments, is where miracles happen, hearts are lifted, and we learn to trust in him.
I sure do love you all! Thanks for your support and love! It means so much and motivates me to be a better missionary.
Love, Sister Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment