July 2012- January 2014

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hi y’all, (secretly hope I come back with a Texan accent)
        This week my friend got baptized, we played basketball and Frisbee in
the morning for our work out time with the elders in our area, went to
the “Discovery Center” for a stake party/ missionary effort, and a
whole lot more. But let’s be honest, it wasn’t even that great of a
week.:)
        Yes folks my friend was baptized and confirmed this weekend. This was the VERY first person I taught ever as a missionary. My friend is just so faithful; all we had to do as missionaries was to ask about being baptized. Seriously, my friend was a member of our church long before the baptism. I want to be like my friend someday. I just really want y’all to meet. I want you to
meet everyone I have met here. There are some really amazing people
down here in Texas! Including the missionaries I work with. I love
them all, especially my companion. I don’t think I have talked much about her, but there is no doubt that she was meant to be my trainer. I have learned a lot being with her.  Sorry back to the baptism. I was so happy for my friend. THRILLED! But there was that little selfish part of me that was disappointed that we won’t see my friend like everyday anymore. But I definitely plan to keep in contact.
        Twice or three times a week, we meet up with the other missionaries
in Amarillo to play sports for our work out time! Can you believe it,
I actually love it. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not the most
coordinated person ever (opposite of my companion)….  But I actually
enjoy it! I still cringe when we are standing in a line up and people
are picking teams, and as usual, I’m picked last. Haha I sound like
such a dork. One morning when we played basketball, the elders put
my companion and I on different teams, I think their purpose behind
that was so that we can guard each other and the Elders can play their
game.
        We had the opportunity to go to the Discovery Center with the stake.
It’s like the children’s museum in SLC. It was a lot of fun AND they
had real homemade Texas Brisket. I was ecstatic when I heard that! But
the catch was my companion and I were sitting at the “More
Information” table all night. By the time we snuck away, the food was
ALL GONE! I was heartbroken. (Never thought I would be so devastated
over food…. Texas has changed me.) A member saw our disappointment,
and took us the HUD’s, a burger joint. It was good, but it didn’t
satisfy my longing for brisket. Well, I know the Lord provides because
on Sunday night we ate with some members. And would you believe it, they served BRISKET!!!! YUM….. it was worth the wait (and weight….).
        We had an amazing lesson with another friend. After we did some service, (picking up branches in this friends backyard from a super bad storm last Monday night, potentially tornado status……….. ok maybe a little exaggeration) we gave this friends grandchild a children’s Book of Mormon. We read the first couple stories, and by the end, this friend was explaining the stories to the grandchild. 
        Last night, my companion and I met some fellas in our apartments.
They are about our age and one of them is going to school to be a
Minister/ Pastor for another church. We set up a gospel study with
them every week so we can teach them about our church and they can
teach us about theirs. I think I’m going to be using the scriptures 2 Nephi 31:3 (for the lord delights in plainness) and 1 Nephi 11:17 ( For I do not know the meaning of all things, but that God loves us) A LOT in our little gospel studies. But I sincerely mean this. I notice that we can get so caught up in deep doctrine that the plain and precious things are lost. People are praised for their vast knowledge of the gospel, and Bible but we forget that Christ taught us simply. Following him should not be confusing. All we need to know is that we are loved of God.
        So as missionaries we knock doors (surprise, surprise). Well this is
the one thing that intimidates me…. A lot. And it seems that every time that my companion tells me, “Alright Sister, you got this next one.” The door is slammed. Ha not so good for my self confidence. I get nervous to talk about the gospel to strangers sometimes. But then I realize that I need not fear. I have the greatest message! That Christ lives and loves us. He has prepared a way for us to return to him through his Atonement. In Preach My Gospel it says “As your understanding of the Atonement increases, so does your desire to share it.” I love that I can find peace and rest through the Atonement of Christ. “Restoring what you cannot restore, healing what you cannot
heal, fixing that which you broke and you cannot fix is the very 
purpose of the Atonement of Christ.” President Boyd K Packer.  I know that through the atonement, my weaknesses can become strengths. Thank you all for your love and prayers! Know that I pray for my family and friends at home!
Love,
Sister Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment